Friday, January 28, 2011

Where were you?

I woke up this morning to the news saying it was the 25th anniversary of the Challenger space shuttle blowing up. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was 9 years old. My brother and I were at my grandmother's playing in the snow. School was canceled due to what seems like a foot of snow. I was excited cause it meant we would get to watch the space shuttle take off. We were sledding down the hill by her house when she yelled at us to come in and watch. Sitting there in my grandma's living room I watch it take off and then blow up. Innocents lost. I prayed and prayed that day not understanding how something like this could happen. I hate to even think of it now. There was a teacher on there. I remember watching her getting on. Her smile. I could imagine her students watching her with such pride in her. And then to see it explode must have changed their lives right then and there. I'm not sure how long we sat there watching the news go over and over it. Life is sooo very short. We never know what the next second is going to bring.

2 Comments:

At 1/29/2011 8:35 AM , Blogger MarkD60 said...

I was smokin' dope at the Russian embassy parking lot in DC. When I got back to work, I found out.

 
At 1/29/2011 10:58 AM , Blogger redgirl said...

lol that makes me remember in one of the many trips my family and i took to dc my mom ended up sitting on a park bench with a few working ladies as they were trying to find work and smoking pot.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home